Monday, November 1, 2010

Vegetarian Chili


A few months back, I took a trip to my friend's Pennsylvania vacation house. Since I love to cook, I usually do all the cooking during our stays. This time, my girlfriend's sister asked if she could make a dish for dinner, in which I obliged. She said that she was going to make vegetarian chili. My first thought was that this dish was not going to turn out good. I was totally wrong. I would have never guessed that this would be one of the best chili dishes I had ever eaten. I asked her for the recipe and have made this chili on numerous occasions. I hope you enjoy!





Vegetarian Chili
1 can of black beans (drained)
1 can of white beans (drained)
1 can of kidney beans (drained)
1 can of corn (drained)
1 can of bush's baked beans
2 cans of stewed tomatoes
1 large pepper or 2 small\medium peppers (red, orange or yellow are best)
1 onion
2 jalapenos
chili powder
red pepper flakes
garlic salt (or minced garlic)
cumin
cayenne pepper
frank red hot sauce

-In a large pot, fry chopped onion in oil
-Add all cans & stir (stewed tomatoes first, and baked beans last; you can drain 1 can of stewed tomatoes to make it less watery)
-Add peppers (if you want the pepper to be mushy add with onions, add after cans have been stewing a bit if you want them crispier)
-Add spices to taste
-Let stew about 30-50 minutes
-Let stand for 20 minutes to thicken

Add shredded cheddar when serving.

You can also add about 1 - 1.5 lb of ground beef or turkey.

Vocabulary
vacation - noun - a time when you take off from work and school to relax
stay - noun - a place you visit for a short a mount of time
dish - noun - a type of food
obliged - verb - to do (say yes) with kindness
vegetarian - noun - a person who does not eat meat
numerous - adjective - having done a lot
stew - verb - slowly boil
stand - verb - to take something that is cooking off of the heat
Cloze Sentences

My ________ was for two weeks when visiting Ireland.
Let the tomato sauce ________ on the open fire.
I _______ with his request for a day off.
My sister will not eat that steak, she is a _________.
What _________would you like me to bring over for Thanksgiving?
Take the tomato sauce off the open fire and let it __________ for 15 minutes.
I am taking off of work and going on a ___________.
I have played that video game __________ times.

Grammar Point
Write 3 sentences with exclamation points. Explain why you used them.

3 comments:

  1. There's nothing better than a nice hot bowl of Vegetarian Chili on a cold winter's night to warm your insides. I make mine in a crock pot- a mother's best cooking accessory! By the way, I'm still the summer lover I told you about in your other blog, but to help ease my dislike for the cold weather I have collected many delicious and satisfying recipes to keep me warm during the winter months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I'm going to make this for my daughter and myself. The boys in my house are crazy carnivores and might faint if I tried to feed them something that didn't have a pulse yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe sounds good and seems simple. I am not much for chili, but I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete